Saturday, January 7, 2023

The Happy Cockroach


Why is it happy?

The Cockroach contemplates his future from his translucent jail

I devised a Catch and Release system that works with Cockroaches as they are common in Hawaii and love to sneak into my kitchen and snack on tidbits of whatever appeals to them.

They aren't fun to destroy, you have to squish them and deal with the body. No thanks. I've found out that they smell horrendous as they start to decay as well, overall it's a lose/lose.

I tried many ways to capture them and finally found an old M&M's clear acrylic tube from 2019. I think it was a Christmas item. It's very tall which enables me to keep my hand at a distance from the bottom of it which means they don't always see me coming. One time I so swiftly captured one that it was almost poetic, like an expert Roach Wrangler you'd see on TV (if they existed).

Back to the basics. Once trapped, their intuition is to climb up to the top of the long tube and assess the situation from there. That gives me time to flip it over and put the top on. It's easy and it works.
Afterwards, I walk it outside and fling it out as far as possible. Will it find its way back? Possibly. Does it survive the fling? I have no idea. I just know that this system works.

I don't feel it's my place to decide who or what gets to live or die in this already violent and abusive world.
Who knows why Cockroaches exist? There must be a reason because they do and they continue to evolve their species in their collective ability to survive. Sometimes they seem smarter than humans from that viewpoint. 

#Cockroach #Capture #Release #TheCockroach #HawaiianCockroach #Roach


No comments: