Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Rolleiflex, again


Since I’m on the topic of my Dad on his day of birth,

Valentine’s Day, I want to share another memory.

I previously wrote a post about the

history of the Rolleiflex camera and our family.

My Dad documented our escapades and outings with it.

I will forever link this vintage camera to him.

In 2020, I found a glass-blown ornament of one online--

 of course I had to have such a gem!


I was inspired to acquire more glass-blown ornies

that represented each family member

(as I basically no longer have any family).

Every year they come out as a memory of what once was.



This is the ornament that represents my Dad.

Although my photo is not actually visible in the

center on the ornament in real life,

I can digitally enhance the image as it holds

a strong memory from my childhood.


It’s from a summer when we were all river fishing.

(Maybe I wasn’t--probably too young, don't recall.)

My Mom took this photo in the summer

when we were possibly at the Toutle River

or somewhere in the Olympics Mountains.

(I think that the full, non-cropped photo with more

family members in it is somewhere in my blog.)



I have memories of searching for natural bait (live bait)

by uncovering them under rocks with Daddy.

I believe they had hard dark brown shells with open ends.

Inside was some sort of  gooey creature.

As a kid, they were kind of gross--which is why I recall them. Maybe they

were just worms in their protective homes.

However, that’s what worked well with catching fish so we collected them.

Pretty sure they had a specific name.


My tree is vintage silver but the blue LED lights

 make it pretty blue.

LED’s unfortunately photograph harshly.

So here is the Rolleiflex on the tree once again in 2023.


It also has a revolving base so it is quite lovely as it

slowly moves and sparkles from the glass and lights.

It’s packed away now.

I think my Brother may still have that camera,

but who knows.


Life was definitely better when my parents were in it.

They never did weird things that I had to question, they were solid.

I was very, very close to both of them.

I don’t want so say I was the favorite child…but … :)


No comments: