Sunday, January 21, 2024

The Iconic "Owls In Love" painting

Finally came across this photo of the Owl painting we used to have in our family Living room in Olympia, Washington back in the 70’s. The lovely state Captiol area. I’ve been wanting to put it in a collage as a homage to our parents. If I should be so lucky as to come across a picture of them with this painting in it I will add it. 


I believe ours may have come from a fine home furnishings store that is still in business after all these years in Olympia called Seldens. My Mom loved owls so I’m guessing it was her choice.

I probably influenced her as well as I still adore it to this day. It truly represents my parent’s marriage that lasted for 50 years.


They are the Owls in Love. 




The artist, C. Roberts, is one of many California artists who worked for Avante Studios, a production studio in San Gabriel. It was active from 1967 until 1980. They commissed numerous California artists for oil pantings that were sold across the US, so you will see the same paintings in differing sizes signed by different artists. Fascinating. They still show up online occasionally.


I purchased the smaller version as shown on the left in 2021. The outer frame size is 12 1/4 x 15 1/4. It is signed by Matson. Another similar one signed by Matson just sold earlier this month! I refer to it as “Owls In Love” but to the best of my knowledge it has no name.


You can see mine hanging in my MCM-inspired home with a picture light illuminating it. It casts an orange color onto the art making that corner warm and cozy. 


Maybe I will be inspired to paint one and sign it with my last name

and keep the legacy going? I have a blank 3’ x 3' canvas. 


Believe that the larger original painting might still be in the family owned by my Brother’s wife, but not sure of its fate. I wish I had it here, have the perfect spot. Selling our family home in 2005 was nothing but pure, unexpected chaos which altered the lives of many of us. Wish I could have seen what was coming, but as I said in the last post, I was trusting and naive and believed that all people were good. Now I know better. I could always, ALWAYS trust in my parents though, and for that I am forever grateful. 

No comments: